Hydrocortisone injection drugs are only available via prescription from your doctor. They are prescribed as either:
- Hydrocortisone sodium phosphate 100mg (liquid hydrocortisone in a 1ml ampoule)
- Hydrocortisone sodium succinate 100mg (powdered Solu-Cortef plus 2ml water vial)
It is advisable to request a prescription for 3 - 5 vials injectable hydrocortisone in case of breakages. You will also need intramuscular needles (blue, IM) and 2mL syringes; alternatively, safety syringes are available from our online shop. Please note, these drugs do have a shelf life and it is important you regularly check the 'best before' date on any medication provided. If this date is due to pass, you can request a new prescription from your doctor for this medication.
Note that hydrocortisone acetate (Cortistab) suspension must be avoided for use in cases of adrenal crisis. It has a delayed onset so is ineffective for emergency treatment.
Emergency injections: tips and reminders
ADSHG emergency injection kits are available from our online shop
A range of emergency injection kits for both adults and children is available from our online shop and comprise:
- Sturdy plastic boxes containing safety syringes, amp snaps and photo instructions
- Available in adult and neonate (paediatric) sizes
- Do not contain prescription injection drugs, which must be prescribed by your GP or endocrinologist.
You can purchase emergency injection kits (minus the drug preparations) from our online shop.
ADSHG adult emergency injection kit - large case